|The 1st Starbuck's, Seattle|
But like most things, it's not always a smooth process. Because tea is made by the baristas at the registers, I don't have to wait down in the mosh pit of yuppies, pining for their caffeine hit. This means that once I get my tea, I need to navigate my way through a group of people who both individually and collectively don't seem to have any sense of spacial awareness. Backpacks, large shoulder bags, and yoga mats should all be classified as registered lethal weapons with the FBI. But even this isn't as tough as the next step: the coffee fixins' bar.
The fixins' bar (or whatever Starbuck's calls the Serengeti watering hole where you spice up your bev with milks, sweeteners and assorted other spices) is the area where my blood pressure raises. Perhaps it's because folks haven't had their jolt yet that they seem to be mindless of their surroundings, not to mention their actions. There are lots of lists already online about how to be the worst Starbuck's customer, but the list I created below is how to continue your horrid behavior after you got what you paid for:
- Stop dumping out your drink in the trash. If you need the barista to leave room, just ask. They're happy to do it. Dumping out what you just paid for is tantamount to throwing money out the window. Besides, it's dumb.
- For god's sake, put your phone away for the ONE EFFING MINUTE it will take you to add whatever you need to add to your beverage!
- Stop with the T-Rex arms. Put down your bag(s) and enjoy the use of your limbs.
- The fixins' bar is not the place for you to get organized. Don't reassemble the purse, don't switch out phones, and for-the-love-of-all-that's-holy DON"T change out your shoes!
- You - the one adding nutmeg to your coffee - I hate you.
- Don't talk to me. I equate fixing my beverage to peeing in a public urinal: no talking, eyes straight ahead, flush when finished.
- Put your trash in the trash. Put your trash in the trash. Put your trash in the trash.
- Once you've added everything you need, die. Or leave. Either is fine, just move out of the way.
- By the way, have you ever made your own coffee or tea before? You don't know how much milk or sweetener to put in? Add a little, taste it, add a little, taste it... I want to stab you in the eye.
- Don't socialize with someone while you are prepping your beverage. You're not in the club. Concentrate on your task then get the hell moving.
- See that dribble of milk you just spilled? Yeah you. Be a big boy, pull a napkin and clean it up. What must your house look like? Slob.
- Don't hoard the milk carafe. Take it when you're ready to use it - don't pull it away from everyone and stockpile your supplies. Share, sweetie. Share.
- Also, if you have to add 16 packets of sugar to your coffee, you don't like coffee.
The key takeaway here is that people (read:me) are waiting. You have 20 seconds to get in there, do whatever it is you need to do and get out. Stop ruining my morning.